Monday, October 19, 2009

My baby needs sauce.

It's Harvest time in the North East! While Baby A & I were in Carlisle a few weeks ago our friends from the East Dennis Oyster Farm (www.dennisoysters.com) picked a bag of the biggest apples I've ever seen from the Hollabaugh Brothers Orchard (www.hollabaughbros.com) in Central PA. I was originally going to make Papa some apple pie, but I thought our little vegetarian might need some apple sauce more!

The Applesauce recipe came from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook that my mama gave to me when I was in college. It's given us many delicious meals over the years... and now some sauce!
The Recipe:

4 Medium Cooking Apples 1/4tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 C Water 1/8tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 C Packed Brown Sugar
Peel, core & cut each apple into fourths.

Heat apples & water to boiling in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low.

Simmer uncovered 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up apples, until tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Unfortunately, our little monkey doesn't take after anyone on my side of the family; He doesn't seem to like sweets! I know, shocking!
So I had to mix the applesauce with some jazz-less vegetables & farina, and we had great success!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails