Friday, January 29, 2010

Helpful Hints: Felting

I've been thinking for a while - I should felt something.  Long ago I tried to felt an eyeball pillow that I crocheted from worsted weight yarn with an F hook.  What did I expect to happen? I was practically felted with all that tiny anger stitching (but the resulting pillow was super cute). 

I thought I'd give it another try and do some tiny felt beads to use with an amigurumi project.  Wanna felt?  Here's what you'll need:



Wool roving - This pack, which included red and orange, was $1.99, plus I had a 40% off coupon.  There's something about inexpensive crafting that just...oh I don't know...makes it possible for my little family to eat on a daily basis?

Water - This means you can't felt on the moon.  Sorry!  Here I have one container of hot soapy water and one of cold water (which I never used).  Warning - I went back and forth putting the hot water in the microwave to keep it conducive to felting.  Toward the end of the day, when the water was running pretty low, I thew it in the microwave, pushed some buttons, and walked away.  In just a minute and a half, the microwave door burst open and hot water flew everywhere.  Water is dangerous.  I don't even drink it anymore (unless there's hops in it). 

Alcohol - I find that when I'm bored, alcohol can transform anything into a super fun drinking game.  Burned my hand with soap water - drink!  Almost exploded an expensive appliance -drink!  Said "I think I'm no longer allergic to wool" three seconds before sneezing - drink! Finished 120 tiny felt balls (yep, I made that many)- chug!  This pink cup is filled with diet coke and orange vodka.  Yum and yum. 

The process:  It's this easy - take a few wisps of wool (mixing colors if you want, but I didn't want to) dip it in the hot water, and roll it around in your hand until it's dry.  Use any technique you learned from playing with playdough in kindergarten.  If it's not quite shrunk and round yet, give it another dunk.  When it looks perfect (or later in the day - good enough) lay it on a towel to dry.  Done!  Now all you need is a needle and thread to string these guys up. 

What did I use mine for?  You'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails