Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving (with vegetarian turducken)

For more people, Thankgiving is an opportunity to share a meal with family and friends.  For me, it is a chance to be very, very weird.

I don't know how I got it in my head, but on the way back from the BF's family's early Thanksgiving celebration on Sunday, I dreamt of a vegetarian turducken (you know, a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey with stuffing and guilt baked in).  So, stuffing was a given.  And tofu seemed only fit.  But I think it really started taking shape in my mind when I thought of butternut - in season, turkey shaped, ready to be scooped out...

So I roasted the butternut and filled it's seed hole with tofu (marinated w/ soy sauce and orange juice).  Here's the unused. loney half.



I cooked the stuffing in a round pan (can you tell I have an entire set of blue pyrex?) and pushed down the center so there'd be a perfect place to shove in some mashed potatoes.  Time to invert...



STUCK!

Yep, buttering the dish and/or loosening the stuffing before this advanced maneuver would have been awesome.


The potatoes stuck but the stuffing needed to be assauled.  (BTW, see the green beans cooling in the corner?  Was it really smart to get them out before all this?) 


SUCCESS!  Oh, except the back part that crumbled a bit.


But you can't even see it in this shot (check out the green pepper eyes and seed tongue)


Yep, the gravy cooled into a nice blob, but check out those strata.


And hey, Madden, bet your turducken doesn't look this good inside! 

OK, that was too many pictures, but thanks for sticking in there.  And HAPPY THANKSGIVING! What am I thankful for?  BFs who don't mind a little playing on Thanksgiving, crafts, and awesome friends like E.  Oh, and candy.

2 comments:

Mama said...

I don't know why you're calling it a turkey when it's obviously a turtle. Poor Mortimer.


-D

JB said...

I guess the "tur" works either way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails